Thursday, July 23, 2015

an incomplete tribute

As I read through emails from more than a decade ago, I was struck by how positive and loving my mom was. She was truly my biggest fan, but furthermore an incredible example of resiliency. As she overcame a horrendous violent crime against her by a serial killer, she emailed me this passage from St. Francis:

Where there is hatred, let me sow love,
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is doubt, faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
And where there is sadness, joy.

grant that I may not so much seek
to be consoled as to console,
to be understood as to understand,
to be loved, as to love.


1 comment:

  1. How fortunate are we, to have been lucky enough to know her? Fortunate beyond measure.

    ReplyDelete